Weekly sessions and monthly weekend intensives are held in Boise (sessions are currently being held both in-person and online.) See the link at the top of this page for a full schedule. See our retreats page for a list of international learning opportunities. To learn more about each of our learning tracks, go here.
Visit yogaalliance.com to read reviews of our program or learn more about the advantages of a Yoga Alliance registered school.
Ongoing Registration. Call 208.634.9711, or email [email protected] for more information. Scroll to the bottom of the page for answers to commonly asked questions.
Learn to teach, Teach to Learn
Our Teacher Training & Yoga Intensive Program blends contemporary science with classic yoga philosophy, ethics & history.
Learn the fascinating story behind the 6,000-year-old discipline of yoga and discover how to incorporate this powerful knowledge into every aspect of your life. Join in a group experience with aspiring teachers and dedicated students to cultivate, learn and grow. Whether you are interested in deepening your own practice or you feel the call to teach, the Shanti Yoga Teacher Training program is committed to the personal success of each participant. Students are encouraged to engage in ‘svadhyaya’ the Sanskrit term for self-inquiry and use the program as a significant part of their continuing journey on the road to self- knowledge. Students will acquire the confidence to communicate the practice of yoga to others with the highest level of skill while honoring their own unique voice and style. This program will broaden your perspective of yoga – culminating in an experience that is transformational on every level: physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual.
Shanti Yoga Teacher Training Advantages
Flexibility, Convenience, Community, and Excellence. Our outstanding Teacher Training Programs began in 2008, and evolved out of hundreds of hours of research, practical experience and development, and we are dedicated to providing the best education, in the most convenient & personalized manner. We train teachers at the highest level of Yoga Alliance Certification, 500 hours, and also offer 300 & 200 hour certifications, Prenatal and Children’s Specializations and Advanced Training for CEU’s (Continuing Education Units required by Yoga Alliance). You will be mentored by our staff not only through the ongoing workshops & classes, but also through your video-taped community class project and practicum training (observing/assisting at Shanti Yoga School.) Most of our graduates are currently working as yoga teachers in a variety of scenarios, while some choose to use the program to enhance their personal life. If you hope to own your own yoga studio later, you’ll have the expertise to run your business, and a large pool of equally well trained teachers to assist. Our relationship doesn’t stop after you graduate as we encourage you to continue participating in classes, workshops and other events as well as through our online community. So though we may be scattered across the country, we always remain linked.
Topics covered in the 200 & 300 Hour program meet or exceed all the required standards set forth by Yoga Alliance in the areas of:
- Techniques: the guided practice of, and analytical training in, traditional yoga techniques including yoga asana, pranayama, mantra, and meditation
- Teaching Methodology: principles of demonstration, observation, assisting/correcting, instruction, teaching styles, qualities of a teacher, and business aspects of teaching yoga
- Anatomy and Physiology: both human physical anatomy and physiology (bodily systems, bones, muscles, organs, etc.) as well as energy anatomy and physiology (chakras, nadis, etc.)
- Yoga Philosophy, Lifestyle and Ethics for Yoga Teachers: Yoga’s roots and historical developments, compare/contrast Eastern and Western Practices, ethical considerations for yoga teachers.
- Practicum: actual practice teaching, giving and receiving feedback and observing others teaching.
Tuition for the 200 hour program currently ranges from $800-$2400 depending on the length of the program you choose to pursue. Contact us for the price of the 300 hour program. A $400 deposit is required to hold your space. Tuition not paid in full requires a monthly auto-payment deducted from a credit or debit card. You can choose the monthly payment amount and payment date that works best for you, so long as the payments will be completed by the end of your chosen program. The balance can be paid off at any time. Tuition includes unlimited access to Shanti Yoga classes, workshops taught by Shanti Yoga School instructors, access to the Shanti Online Learning platform and other online resources, mentoring and other benefits. Workshops taught by instructors other than Shanti Yoga School instructors are available to you at 30% off. Spa services and retail are available to you at 10% off. We expect 200 hour coursework to be completed within three to twelve months, 300 hour requirements within 18 months. A one year extension can be added for $800. Re-initiation fee for sabbaticals is $800. Graduates in good standing continue to enjoy other benefits including discounts on workshops, classes, and access to the online platform. School Refund policy: all payments are non-refundable and non-transferable.
Commonly Asked Questions
1. When can I begin? We have no set start dates, rather we have chosen to make our program as flexible and convenient as possible. Each month we focus on one of our 6 Yoga Alliance-approved Courses, so over the course of a year we cover each Course twice during our live sessions. For example, you might begin with the Meditation Course because that’s a convenient time for you to begin, and catch the Asana section afterwards. Some students choose to complete the program in three months, in which case their studies are largely independent from the Courses we’re focusing on during our live sessions as they work through the online learning platform and archived video material. In addition to our live weekly and monthly sessions on these subjects, the 6 Courses are covered in material presented in our online learning platform with lessons consisting of pdfs readings, videos, and quizzes. These Courses are: Yoga Humanities, Yoga Anatomy, Asana, Pranayama, Meditation, and Teaching Yoga.
2. How proficient in yoga do you have to be to do the program? We are looking for students who want to learn more about yoga or who have a desire to teach. While it will be to your benefit to have a background in yoga, we acknowledge the most important attribute is this desire to learn. We look for practitioners who come to the mat with a level of maturity, a willingness to learn and an understanding of the limits of their own body. Keep in mind this program is not only for aspiring teachers, but people who want to deepen their practice.
3. Do I need to have any other qualifications to be accepted into the program? To qualify for our Teacher Training Program, you must complete an application and pay the deposit.
4. How much time should I expect to spend on homework? This depends upon how long you choose to spend in the program. Those wishing to complete it in the shortest time frame of 3 months might need to spend up to 20 hours per week on the online learning platform and discussion groups and classes. Those who want to stretch the program out over the full year, might not need to do this. The homework is designed to support the material covered in class and help you integrate what is presented into your own practice and teaching. If you are not planning on teaching after this course, you may choose not to complete all of the homework assignments and take the course for non-credit. However, if you wish to receive your Certificate of
Completion, you must accrue the necessary hours and complete all the homework assignments.
5. What is the Yoga Alliance? Yoga Alliance is an organization that was started in 1999 as a way to create nationally recognized standards for yoga teachers and yoga teacher trainings. More and more yoga studios across the country are requiring their teachers to register with the Yoga Alliance, either at the 200 or 500 hour level. Yoga Alliance registration, however, is not a legal requirement for teaching yoga. Currently there are no legal certification requirements to be a yoga teacher. Students that complete both 200 & 300 programs are eligible to register through the Yoga Alliance as a 500 hour registered yoga teacher.
6. Will I be qualified to teach yoga once I complete the 200 Hour Teacher Training Program? Yes! With the successful completion of all the requirements of the program, including contact hours, homework, portfolio, videotaped community class and final exam, you will receive your Certificate of Completion evidencing your training. You may also register with the Yoga Alliance (http://www.yogaalliance.org).
7. What is the yoga style of the school? Our school touts an “interdisciplinary” philosophy believing that yoga is an art, as well as a science….and that it stands upon the shoulders of it’s early sages, but allows for individual evolving innovations. That being said, our school definitely orients towards a breath-aware, biomechanically-conscious vinyasa. My particular style is an evolution of what I learned from my teachers, Erich Schiffmann, Shiva Rea, Seane Corn & many others who I’ve studied with at Exhale & YogaWorks in Los Angeles. I have also chosen to study with alignment-oriented teachers such as John Friend (Anusara) and Rodney Yee & Judith Lasater (Iyengar) because I believe sound biomechanics is essential (my background is in Exercise Science). Many call this style “Slow Flow”…a breath-oriented vinyasa with very conscious awareness of alignment, especially in the transitions. Recently, I was able to study with the wonderful Annie Carpenter who calls this form “Smart Flow.” All of the teachers at Shanti have been certified by Yoga Alliance and follow this balance of breath-inspired, flow-inducing, krama-specific vinyasa that is primary to the Shanti School program. We all believe that yoga is a tool that allows us to learn more about ourself and come closer to finding peace within. For more information on our Shanti Teachers credentials and achievements click here.